1. Change o the WPS : Change maybe made in non essential variables of WPS without re qualification
2. Change in essential or supplementary essential require re qualification.
3. Available of the WPS.A WPS used for production welding shall be available for reference and reviewed by Authorized Inspector.
1. PQR is the record of the welding data used to weld a test coupon, also contain test result of the test specimen.
2. Contents of PQR ; all essential variable, when require supplementary essential variable during the welding of the test coupon.
3. Change of PQR ; not permitted except : editorial correction, or addenda. Example correction of F Number, A number, P number hat was assigned to a particular. For example also, section IX may assign a new F number to a filler metal or adopt a new filler metal under an establish F Number.
4. All change in PQR req recertification by manufacturer or contractor.
5. Availability PQR : PQR used to support QPS shall be available for reviewed by AI
6. Multi WPSs with one PQR/ Multi PQRs with one WPS.
1. To reduce number of WPSs P number assigned to base metal dependent on characteristic such as : composition, mechanical properties, weldability.
2. In general, Notch toughness req are mandatory for all P no 11 quenched and tempered metals.
QW-200.4 Combination of Welding Procedures
1. More than WPS having different essential, supplementary essential, or non essential variable may be used in a single production joint.
2. Where more than one WPS specifying different process, filler metals, or others essential or supplementary essential variables used in one joint QW 451 shall be used to determine the range of base metal thickness and max weld metal thickness qualified.
3. For GTAW, SMAW, GMAW, PAW, and SAW, a combination of these process, a PQR for a process recording a test coupon that was at least ½ in (13mm) thick may be combined with one o or more other PQRs recording another welding process and any greater base metal thickness. In this case the process recorded on the first PQR may be used to deposit the root layers using the process recorded on that PQR up to 2t.
QW-201 Manufacturer’s or Contractor’s Responsibility
1. Each manufacturer or contractor shall qualified the WPS by the welding of test coupons and the testing of specimen, and the recording if welding data and test result in a document known as PQR
2. When a manufacturer or contractor or part of manufacturer or contractor is acquired by a new owner, the PQRs and WPSs may be used by new owner without re qualification, provided all of the following are met :
a. The new owner take responsible for the WPS and PQR
b. The WPS reflect the name of the new owners
c. The QC system/QA program reflects the source of the PQRs as being from the former manufacturer or contractor
QW-202 Type of Test Required
QW-202.1 Mechanical Test
1. The type and number of test specimen that shall be test to qualified groove are given in QW 451 and shall be removed in a manner similar to that shown in QW-463.
2. If any test specimen required by W 451 fails to meet the applicable acceptance criteria, the test coupon shall be considered as failed.
3. When it can be determined that the cause of failure is not related to welding parameter, another test coupon may be welded using identical welding parameter.
4. Alternatively, if adequate material of the original test coupon exists, additional test specimen may be removed as closed as practicable to original specimen location
5. When it has been determined that the test failure was caused by an essential or supplementary essential variable, a new test coupon may be welded with appropriated changes to the variables that was determined to cause the test failure.
QW-202.2 Groove and Fillet Welds
Qualification for groove full penetration welds ; limit qualification QW 451.
Qualification for partial Penetration Groove Welds ; as req QW 451.
Qualification for Fillet Welds ; WPS qualification for fillet welds may be made on groove weld test coupon using test specimen in QW-202.2a or b. Fillet weld procedures so qualified may be used for welding all thickness of base metal for all size of fillet welds, and all diameter of pipe or tube accordance with QW451.4
QW-202.3 Weld Repair and Buildup.
WPS qualified on groove welds shall be applicable for weld repairs to groove and fillet welds and for weld buildup under the following provision :
There is no limitation on the thickness of base metal or deposited weld metal for fillet weld.
For other than fillet welds, the thickness range for base metal and deposit weld metal for each welding process shall be in accordance with QW 451, except there need be no upper limit on the base metal thickness provided qualification was made on base metal having thickness of 1 ½ in (38 mm) or more.
QW-202.4 Dissimilar Base Metal Thickness
WPA qualified on groove welds shall be applicable for production welds between dissimilar base metal thickness provided ;
The thickness of the thinner shall be within the range permitted by QW 451
The thickness of the thicker member shall be as follows :
For P-No.8, P No-41, P No-42, P No-43, P No-44, P No-45, P No-46, P No-49, P No-51, P No-52, P No-53, P No-61, P No-62 metal there shall be no limitation on the max thickness of the thicker production member in joints of similar P-number materials provided qualification was made on base metal haing thickness of ¼ in (6mm) or greater.
for all other metal the thickness of the thicker member shall be within the range permitted by QW 451 except there need be no limitation on the max thickness of thicker production member provided qualification ws made on base metal having a thickness of 1 ½ in (38 mm) or more.